Monday 20 May 2013

Northampton

Northampton was our first Monday start for a couple of weeks so after a quick turnaround, especially for stage management, we hit the ground running. Monday night proved a success and we got two great reviews!





The Theatre Royal is beautiful. It opened in 1884 and was designed by the Victorian architect C J Phipps, who also designed our next venue, the Theatre Royal, Bath!




The stage is narrower than some of our recent venues so it took a bit of getting used to, but I enjoyed that because it felt very different. It is an intimate theatre, seating around 460, so we could sense the audience picking up on things that are perhaps missed in larger spaces.


This week I stayed in my first Travelodge of the tour, which proved a roaring success - providing all the bare essentials...





On Wednesday, we ventured out of Northampton and took a trip to the beautiful Blenheim Palace.










After experiencing the various guided tours, we thought we'd revise what we'd learnt.



Consuelo and Charles - The 9th Duke and Duchess of Marlborough 


And do a bit of exploring...







Before realising we were in the children's section...so headed to the gardens...






Which proved an equally stressful experience...but after much deliberation, we made it to the cascades...






Where Emily and Tim admired the beautiful view...whilst calmly debating the quickest route back...

But all was well in paradise when we finally found the Temple of Diana where Winston Churchill proposed to Clementine!





In my ignorance, I didn't realise the full extent of Winston Churchill's connection with Blenheim. For those who don't know, his paternal Grandfather was John Winston Spencer-Churchill, 7th Duke of Marlborough. So although he never lived at Blenheim, he spent much time there and was actually born there...in this room...






And buried about a mile away at St Martin's Church, Bladen.





What struck me was the lack of ceremony. He is buried in a very modest plot, with many of his ancestors and to see it in these surroundings was very humbling. It seemed particularly apt that this should be the place he chose.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Polly,
    I posted a comment after your Llandudno stint. I am so pleased that you got full houses in Bath. After seeing the play,I was compelled to buy the book.
    I'm only half way through but already feel that the performance you guys put together is/was nothing short of remarkable. The entire ensemble has brought the book to life in my head whilst the book fills in details that a play never can. I feel really privileged to have seen something special so all I can say is thanks again. I hope you enjoyed the Guinness on Dublin!Good luck for the rest of the tour. I hope I can see the play again but it will not be easy given your current schedule. I hope you do another tour together soon after a well earned break
    Best wishes
    Oliver Schick, Criccieth

    ReplyDelete