Tuesday 4 June 2013

Dublin!

Up at dawn for Dublin? Go on then! Bags packed, breakfast consumed - off to Gatwick it was. Having waited over an hour for my private car - I decided to cut my losses and slum it on South West trains ;-)

There is something refreshing about being up and functioning (if perhaps on a limited basis) at this time. I fully embrace the saying "early bird catches the worm" (in this case - train) so you can imagine my horror when it shamelessly pulled out of the station early without so much as a backward glance! Not to worry, being the experienced traveller I am (...) I had allowed for such occurrences, and so happily spent the next 15 minutes observing the commuting world of what was now 6.30am.

8am - Hello Gatwick! I ascended the escalator into the cavernous arena that is the "Check-In Lounge." (Or "Bag Drop" as it's now known, as you can do all but that online - extraordinary. All but weigh your bag that is, as would soon become apparent.) Within seconds of approaching the Ryan Air desk, I was informed that my bag was over the limit. I feel rather strongly that (momentarily ignoring the official limit) it was not too heavy - I had not even opened the "ok, it's getting quite full, something has to give" zip and I still maintain my suitcase really was not that big. Anyway thanks to Ryan Air's lateral thinking, there was a shop right next to the desk where I could purchase a bag suitable for decanting excess weight and taking it on as hand luggage. Surprisingly owned by Ryan Air. Whilst I had to buy another bag, I did not have to pay the £20 PER EXTRA KILO!!!!! that is the going rate - so with the calming presence of Emily and Poppy (as well as the extra space in their bags :-) crisis averted, and we were off to security...

...which equally had its set of stresses. I had to remove my shoes and go into what looks like a space ship to be scanned. Whilst I admit it is quite fun, I do wonder why I am stopped every time I go through security - the most threatening thing I had on me was a foam nail file, which was taken off me anyway, so there was really very little to be alarmed about. Poppy then had her bag searched, which was perhaps unpleasant, but nothing on the aforementioned time machine. We were given the go ahead in just enough time for a quick breakfast, before boarding the plane for sunny (and it was) Dublin :-)





On arrival, we made our way to the accommodation and settled in before venturing out into town. Poppy and I found a lovely little cafe (one of many) called 'Crave Cafe' which provided much needed coffee and Gourmet Pittas?!! Amazing. It was then time to find the theatre...





Not only was it overwhelming to be in Ireland for the first time, but to be involved in the Irish premiere of the show. It was just right that all our producers; Jon, Anne-Marie and Alastair were there, as well as our adapter Rachel Wagstaff. The Gaiety is beautiful and this evening housed our biggest audience yet so was a rather special night! Having felt the audience were quite quiet, we really weren't sure of their response until we came out for our second bow and they were on their feet! I remember coming out and being completely bowled over because it was so unexpected. A very welcome surprise. As the week progressed, so did their responses and we had standing ovations most nights!






With the knock-on effects of a pretty early start and the imminent come down from an adrenaline fuelled first night, we decided to head back to the apartment and get an early night. Perhaps an unadventurous way to begin Dublin - but merely preparation for the activities to come, planned by our one and only Sarah Jayne Dunn - Our Social Secretary for the week :-)

Wednesday was another early start for Sarah and Charlie as they were to appear on Ireland AM! They were pros and did a grand job. See interview here...

http://www.tv3.ie/ireland_am_video.php?locID=1.65.74&video=63559


The first activity on Sarah's (Beyonce's) itinerary of the week was the sight-seeing bus tour. Having experienced Bath's, I wasn't quite sure but when everyone came back raving about it, I couldn't resist - and what better way to throw my niece into the culture and history of Dublin than insisting we commence her stay with an extensive tour of the city! (after a 5am start...) - well Millie, we only have 48 hours!!










After much information absorbed and much jigging to the interim Irish music, it was time for food with Liam and Charlie - who together with me, decided to quiz Millie on the show (she saw it in Guildford.) Let's just say, post exam shut down had occurred and she certainly didn't get at A from us! However she did come and see it the following two nights, and so has now swatted up. She could probably now cover Lisette if needs be. (That's the character I play Millie, just to clarify.)

Thursday night's show went well and I was very happy in the knowledge that Millie was in the audience! Post-show arrived and so did another quiz for her...what was it like seeing it for a second time? I think the most prominent thing for her was what she picked up that she had missed before. I forget, performing it most days, how much there is to take in for anyone, let alone someone of 18. It seemed to have such an effect that she also watched it on Friday! I took this as a compliment :-)

After the show on Thursday, SJD had planned for us to go to Temple Bar - a roaring success and a definite contender for best night yet. When we arrived, an Irish band were playing and although being informed that there were actually very few Irish people in the bar, it had a great atmosphere and once the band had finished, we danced the night away to cheesey 80s music - which was perfect for Uncle Liam and Uncle Charlie, who knew the lyrics to every song even though Charlie wasn't even born when Liam was boogying to these in his youth! The meeting of minds...who said bro-mance was dead? ;-)




Friday arrived and so did our tour of the Guinness Factory. SJD's 3rd activity of the week proved another roaring success and we all left confident we knew all there was to know. Although many of us didn't manage more than a sip of our free pint in the Gravity bar, soaking up the atmosphere and learning about Shamrocks proved a perfect end to the tour.











Friday night's show came around and we were all raring to go, fuelled by our week's audience responses. After the show, SJD had organised another evening for us at 37 Dawson Street - a lovely bar right around the corner from the theatre serving us free drinks and nibbles - bonus!


Emily found a fellow croc...





I discovered a new way to enjoy chocolate and strawberries...





And we realised the boys really do scrub up well.




Saturday came around quickly, as did our last show at the Gaiety. It was an incredible week and one I'm sure we will all feel is a highlight of the tour. Thank you to all at the theatre for having us and for making it such a fantastic week.




It seems Dublin was a great success... ;-)

1 comment: