Sunday 16 December 2012

Final thoughts...

As the final week before the start of rehearsals draws to a close, the cocktail of nerves and excitement is as prominent as ever...


When one hears the euphoric news that "you've got the part, the job is yours!" there is often a 'cloud 9' period when one basks in the pure joy of knowing that there is work lined up. For me in the case of 'Birdsong' it was not only this, but that I was going to be working on a piece I love. This period of time lasted a while as I auditioned back in July and, as I'm sure any actor would agree, knowing about a job (that you are so thrilled about) this far in advance, can only be a great thing!



As time goes on and rehearsals approach, euphoria slowly morphs into nervous excitement. Have I read the play enough times? Have I done enough research? What will we be asked to do in the first rehearsal? Whilst it is of course different for every actor, I'm sure that we have all experienced this roller-coaster of emotions in some form.



As my final day pre-Birdsong plays out, I leave you with a section of a poem written by St Vincent Morris in 1915 having just reached the age permitted to enlist.

'The Eleventh Hour'

Nay, this is not to love, nor this to live!
I will go forth; I hold no more aloof;
And I will give all that I have to give,
And leave the refuge of my father's roof.
Then, if I live, no man shall say, think I,
'He lives, because he did not dare to die!'




No comments:

Post a Comment