Sunday 3 March 2013

Yvonne Arnaud, Guildford

This week has been an altogether different experience from any other so far on tour. Having trained at GSA and being able to commute to London, I was able to touch base and spend the week in familiar surroundings. These weeks where most people commute can be disjointed, but whilst you can feel distanced from each other, it can be a very good thing to come at it from a different angle. (And it means that we are all the more excited about coming back together in our lovely girly (+ Jon) house in Malvern!)






The Yvonne Arnaud is a lovely theatre. It seats around 600 which gives a unique intimacy, perfectly suited to a play like this. When on stage you can see straight into the first few rows which creates a powerful connection with the audience.



Lovely Yvonne Arnaud Auditorium


One of my favourite things about this week has been seeing so many familiar faces. I have had a wonderful time catching up with people and finally showing them what we've been up to. As well as my (rather large) family coming down to see it, I have had old school friends, old school teachers, GSA friends and GSA tutors in. Having done many shows not knowing anyone in the audience, I have been spoilt!



My Pa and his great friend, Abe!



Me and my lovely friend Annie :-)




My gorgeous niece and nephews (before attempting to steal a poster from the display...I suggested then wasn't the best time seeing as Sebastian Faulks was coming that night...)


...which brings me to our final night in Guildford. On Saturday, the man himself Sebastian Faulks, came to see the show! Whilst it was obviously rather nerve racking, it was an honour to have him there and he was a model audience member (reacting, I am told, in all the right places and standing up at the end!) He came to the bar afterwards where the theatre hosted drinks and he was charming, saying he enjoyed the show very much. Sadly I didn't get a picture, but he did say he would try and come again (yay!) so next time definitely ;-)


As I prepare to leave familiar territory for our next destination, here is an excerpt from Thomas Hardy's Men Who March Away:


Hence the faith and fire within us
Men who march away
Ere the barn-cocks say
Night is growing gray,
Leaving all that here can win us:
Hence the faith and fire within us
Men who march away.

No comments:

Post a Comment